Katy Herman is a highly skilled legal professional, providing counsel on a wide range of healthcare compliance matters for drug and device manufacturers. Her primary expertise lies in supporting companies with Medicare and Medicaid billing compliance, where Katy works closely with clients to ensure adherence to the stringent regulations governing reimbursement processes. In addition to billing compliance, Katy is well-versed in Medicare and Medicaid accreditation requirements. She assists clients in meeting the rigorous standards necessary for accreditation, ensuring that healthcare organizations maintain the highest level of quality and adherence to regulatory guidelines.
Katy extends her expertise to cover Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics and Supplies (DMEPOS) Supplier and Quality Standards. She advises clients on the standards and regulations governing the supply of DME, ensuring they meet the necessary quality benchmarks to provide exceptional patient care. Moreover, Katy is well-versed in healthcare fraud and abuse laws, providing critical guidance to clients navigating these complex regulations. Her expertise helps healthcare organizations establish robust compliance programs and safeguards to prevent fraudulent activities and ensure adherence to the law.
- Advises on commercial programs compliance per FDA and FTC regulations, fraud and abuse laws such as the Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, and the Sunshine Act, while aiding companies in creating compliant program structures to mitigate risks
- Supports Medicare and Medicaid billing compliance
- Extensive experience with negotiating client purchase agreements, including GPO, Distribution Agreements, Master Services Agreements, Joint Marketing Agreements, Third Party Payor Agreements, and third-party vendor contract review.
- Advise clients on advertising and promotional content.
- Advise and assist with submissions of the Federal Sunshine Act and state transparency reporting obligations.
- Juris Doctor, Health Law - Mitchell Hamline School of Law
- Medical Device Regulation and Submission - University of St. Thomas
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics - Hamline University
Bar Admissions and Qualifications
- Corporate Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP), Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics
- General Health Law Certificate, Mitchell Hamline School of Law
- Health Care Compliance Certificate, Mitchell Hamline School of Law
- Member, Health Care Compliance Association
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association - Food, Drug and Device Law Section
- Minnesota State Bar Association – Health Law Section
Honors and Awards
- Coloplast Corp. Home Office Hero